Login | Register

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Nanoha
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:17 am 
If a topic like this existed before, I'll bow to whatever the admins deem necessary.
The official tittle of this group of series is Magical Lyrical Girl Nanoha, and boy did I grow to love this one. I'm not talking about the three series, per see, and the manga tittles they spawned, Force and Vivid being ongoing, but the characters themselves, especially Nanoha.
Now the anime and the manga have their own flaws and problems, with the first two series being in my humble opinion the best of the franchise. But I can't help but watch and cheer on for Nanoha as she
Spoiler: show
fires of magic beams that would put the Death Star to shame.
Maybe it's nostalgia, I dunno but by my tone you can tell I'm a total fanboy for this franchise, despite it' flaws and problems.
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I'm curios what others think bout this franchise.

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Nanoha
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:32 am 
I quite liked the show too, all three seasons. What impressed me was how the show managed to give roles to its perpetually growing cast of characters all the time (it's no surprise that the third season was 26 eps long compared to the 13 episode series before it).

I'm also glad that it phased out its attempts at being a magical girl show, those first few episodes aren't very indicative of what A's and StrikerS are like. It becomes something of a military fantasy by StrikerS.

Visit the local IRC here:http://cbe001.chat.mibbit.com/?server=irc.synirc.net&channel=%23D2brigade
If you're in America, please try to come of an afternoon.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:53 am 
Wasn't a big fan of the first series, the movie adaption was a lot better in my opinion, it kept the pace up without the downtime from the show, kind of had the same problem with Nanoha A's, but that should be fixed with the movie release this year.

StrikerS was a mixed bag had some good ideas but it crawled along till the end.

Ehsan wrote:
I hate whites

SkyCetacean wrote:
All this Freudian stuff is great but I wanna see zaburai explained from a Marxist perspective.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:13 pm 
Always wanted to check it out, but a lot of the fans were kind of creepy, which made me stay clear all this time. All I know is, if it weren't for Nanoha, Madoka Magica might never have existed, and for that, I'm grateful.

Anime list: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/TCTriangle

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TCTriangle

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:08 pm 
Don't let the fans turn you off from a decent show. For it' day Nanoha was innovative and like I said the characters are really something else. Frankly i consider Nanoha one of the few truly feminist characters in anime which is saying a lot.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:21 am 
zaburai wrote:
Wasn't a big fan of the first series, the movie adaption was a lot better in my opinion, it kept the pace up without the downtime from the show
This.

I far preferred A's to the first season, but even there the story was a bit odd. I'm not sure i got what happened in the last episode. It's pretty cool either way. I've described the action in Nanoha like Dragonball, but better in one way and worse in one way. Better because the characters keeps using force shields to protect themselves from attacks, which makes them feel more vulnerable. Worse because when they actually do get hurt it results in not much more than scrapes. I would like just a teensy bit of blood in Nanoha. I never saw StrikerS because i didn't hear very good things about it.

When it comes to the characters i think Nanoha herself is one of the most boring characters ever. She's just an absolute angel whatever happens. She could be tortered and would still innocently ask her torturer if he doesn't want to live a more happy life where he doesn't have to torture people. She still works in the story so i'm not really mad about it, but i just don't care about her.

The incestuous tensions between her siblings is pretty cool.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:39 am 
Strikers did a lot to bring her a bit down on the perfection scale.
The magic she used especially in series 2 caused her body to get badly damaged and her to get very badly injured and paralyzed and spend a whole bunch of time in recovery. She's still very strong and dangerous but she's less perfect. Now, there were a lot of derps in the series itself, including animation wise but as a rather big fan I didn't mind so much.

Sincerely i like characters that are well impossibly perfect better than the ones that are annoyingly depressed or angst ridden. Neither of the two are good in a creative sense, but if I were to chose the less depressing one is preferable, just my two cents.
I liked however the idea with the villains where they weren't just generic people but rather tragic figures. For it' time it was decently innovative. Of course today that formula has been done to death so I can understand why people would scoff.

Profile  Offline

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]